All foreign citizens not eligible to apply for the ETIAS visa waiver, or those who wish to travel to the country for purposes not permitted with a French ETIAS, are required to apply for a France visa.
As France is one of the Schengen Area countries and shares the same visa policy, a France visa is the same as a Schengen visa. In order to apply for a Schengen visa for France, it is necessary to make an appointment at the nearest French embassy or consulate.
It is necessary to download, print, and complete a France visa application to take along to the appointment. Other documents required for a France Schengen visa include:
- A passport with at least 3 months validity from the intended entry date to France
- 2 recent photographs which meet the France Schengen visa photo size requirements
Round trip flight reservations or travel itinerary
- Proof of sufficient finances for the trip, e.g. bank account statement
- Evidence of travel insurance to cover a stay in the Schengen Area
- Proof of accommodation in France such as hotel reservations or an invitation letter from family or friends.
It is necessary to supply all of the supporting documentation requested in order for the application to be approved and avoid a France visa refusal.
It may also be necessary to supply further supporting documentation depending on the type of France visa the applicant requires. For example, those applying for a medical treatment visa for France are required to provide a letter from a medical practitioner in their home country, as well as an official confirmation of the treatment by a medical institution in France.
During the embassy appointment, applicants are also required to pay the France visa fee using a valid payment method. It usually takes a maximum of 2 weeks to get a France visa approved, so applicants are advised to apply at least 15 days before the intended date of arrival to ensure sufficient processing time.